Dr Johnny Wong is a neurosurgeon with subspecialty interests in cerebrovascular, skull base and endovascular neurosurgery (also known as neuro-interventional surgery).
After graduating from medicine at UNSW with honours, Dr Wong completed neurosurgical training at multiple prestigious hospitals in Sydney, including Prince of Wales, Macquarie University, Royal Prince Alfred and St Vincent’s Hospitals. This culminated in the award of FRACS in Neurosurgery in 2014. Following this, Dr Wong completed two subspecialty fellowships in North America with the support of separate travel scholarships from Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He underwent a 1-year open cerebrovascular and skull base fellowship at University of Toronto, and a 2-year endovascular and interventional neuroradiology fellowship at Stanford University.
During his neurosurgical training, Dr Wong completed a Masters degree in clinical epidemiology at University of Sydney in 2009, and a PhD degree at Macquarie University for research on spinal cord injury and spinal cord cysts (syringomyelia) in 2014. His research on syringomyelia received several awards, including Peter Leech Memorial Prize in 2012, and Macquarie University Research Excellence Award in 2013.
While Dr Wong has interests in cerebrovascular and brain tumours, he assesses and manages all neurosurgical conditions, including cerebrospinal fluid disorders, spinal conditions and peripheral nerve disorders. His practice is named Eminence Neurosurgery, which incorporates his particular interests in neurosurgery: Applying Endoscopic and Minimally-INvasive approaches to all neurosurgical conditions, and expertise in ENdovascular and CErebrovascular neurosurgery.
- BSc (Med), MBBS (Hons) at UNSW in 2002
- MMed (Clin Epi) at University of Sydney in 2009
- FRACS (Neurosurgery) in 2013
- PhD on post-traumatic syringomyelia at Macquarie University in 2014
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia
- Conjoint Committee of Interventional Neuroradiology
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of Neuro-interventional Surgery
- Visiting Medical Officer (Consultant Neurosurgeon) at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Visiting Medical Officer (Consultant Neurosurgeon) at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse
- Visiting Medical Officer (Consultant Neurosurgeon) at North Shore Private Hospital
- Visiting Medical Officer (Consultant Neurosurgeon) at Mater Hospital, Sydney
Additional Professional Activities and Contributions
- Clinical teaching of registrars and junior medical officers at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.